Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Unbereable Lightness of Being, by Milan Kundera

Novel. My favorite, so far.

We only live once. Or is there an eternal return?

If the latter is true, are we condemned to repeat our actions endless times, infinitely? The burden of each one of our actions would become heavy, unbearable.

On the other hand, if we live once, if all what is set inside of the flow of time only happens once, then our actions lack of relevance. What relevance can something that happens in a glimpse have; something that only happens once; something that doesn’t leave a trace? A drop of water can’t erode a rock. The rock is something incommensurable, like eternity. Then, our existence is devoid of weight. We are victims of the unbearable lightness of being.

I have four faces, like cherubim:

I am Tomáš and I have a crush on someone even if I have a desire for others.

I have felt the crumble, the jealousy, and the anxiety of Tereza.

I am a fool child like Franz, I’m only a child.

I have pursued that cursed Sabina, just to realize that her steps are mine own.
Alan

No comments: