Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Tunnel, by Ernesto Sábato


Novel.

A short and interesting book. This is the story of an obsessive, almost a schizophrenic, painter. In one word: a stalker. He begins to feel an attraction to María Ibarne, a girl who apparently was the only one who could understand one of his paintings. He does everything possible to follow and meet her. He is so obsessed with her that he finally assassinates her.

The narration begins with the painter in prison and as it evolves he tells us how he met María and why he killed her.

I felt attracted by the story because I think sometimes I’m as obsessive as the painter (I want to make it clear, this is just in some aspects of my life, I’m not an stalker). Sometimes I take a situation to the limit of analysis to consider courses of action or just to infer in a detailed way why things happen…

Anyway, I have come to think that everyone is like this, at least in one of the soul’s deep corners. If that is not the case… then I have just exposed myself.

Alan

No comments: