Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 16, 2008

Lethal Story of Fragility; Rebecca Arroyo Rodriguez “DaRIa DecoN”


This is a book of poetry.

I came to know this book and its’ author practically by accident. One summer that I decided to spend in San Miguel de Allende, I attended in a workshop about creative literature shared by Victor Sahuatoba.

The people in the workshop were very participative and at the end of the course a girl who was sitting next to me said that she had a surprise to share, but that since it was only one, we would have to decide randomly who would end up with it. The luck fell on me and the prize was her book. It was strange because I don’t remember winning another thing that way in my life.

The theme in the entire book is somewhat dark, making illusion to misanthropy, hypocrisy, death, vampires, drugs, and everything else associated with the darkness or Goth.

Since I had never liked this genre, I considered that it was a type of pretext to get attention and just a simple stereotype. I confess that some of her poems brought me pleasure when I read them. After all, shouldn’t literature get the attention of the reader, and doesn’t it use stereotypes, even when trying to rebel against them?

In the internet it’s possible to get examples of her work. If someone wants to comment something about them, it can be done in this space. I leave you with one of my favorite fragments of one of her poems…


Fairy Tale (fragment)

People make fun of me,

my last cent is on the hand of a drunk man,

a drug addict gives me pleasure

and the love of my life is on his honeymoon.


*And here is the original poem fragment in Spanish, the original language.


Cuento de Hadas (fragmento)

La gente se burla de mí,

mi último centavo está en la mano de un borracho,

un drogadicto me da placer

y el amor de mi vida está en su luna de miel.

"DaRla DecóN"

No comments: